Location: Hall Road, Oulton, NR11 6NU; how to find us
Oulton Chapel is open on the following days in 2021
Sun 16 May 10am - 4pm
Sun 13 June
Sun 11 July
Sun 8 August
Sat/Sun 11/12 and 18/19 September - Heritage Open Days
This non-conformist Chapel was built between 1728-31 and is listed grade II*. It retains its panelling, box pews and gallery which ruled out any re-use involving alteration to the interior.
The Chapel became disused in the 1960s and its condition deteriorated. Limited emergency repairs were carried out in 1984 with support from the Norfolk Churches Trust and Broadland District Council and in 1988 Norfolk County Council drew up a detailed schedule of repairs. Following this, the Trust purchased the Chapel and surrounding land from the owners, the Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches Ltd.
The repairs to the Chapel were completed in 1991 with grants from English Heritage and Broadland District Council and included the conversion of the rear vestry into a small meeting room with a fully equipped kitchen, and lavatories. The Chapel is available for hire for meetings, weddings and other events. For details, contact the Trust. Occasional services are still held here.
The Trust is fortunate that a number of local people have formed the ‘Friends of Oulton Chapel’ and open the chapel to the public from 2pm to 4pm on the second Sunday of each month from April to October inclusive.
Before the repair works:
After the repair works: